Last week I was at my parents house sorting through some old books and whatnot and I came across a notebook I kept while I was on my mission. On the back cover I had written “Things I want to do in life” with a quaint little list of life dreams and life aspirations. They included learning how to play the organ (not yet), becoming a master gardener (my windowsill herb selection will tell you I am a serial plant killer), and run a marathon (I walked to the mail box today…does that count?).
That list was created at a time in my life when I thought I would live the kind of existence where plants and running would be the pinnacle of achievement. My goals were simple and somewhat drab. Now that I’ve been home and worldly-ized, I’ve updated my “bucket list” and would like to share it…now.
- See the following bands live:
-The Violent Femmes (do they still exist?)
- Shake hands with Tina Fey (and possibly smell her hair…)
- Learn how to make really good home made bread
- Sew a dress…that I will actually wear.
- Swim off the coast of Puerto Rico
- Visit M5
- Shoot an automatic machine gun
- Memorize all the words to “The Raven” (I’m half way there)
- Eat authentic paella (again)
- Own a nice set of kitchen shearers
- Milk a goat (again)
- Write something that gets made into a movie, short film, high school student project, or home video.
- Teach my children to say “D’oh!” when they bonks their head (working on it)
- Actually read all of “Crime and Punishment” instead of just telling people I did.
- Learn how to juggle
- Learn how to use chop sticks (I’ve tried, oh how I’ve tried)
- Learn how to do stained glass windows
- Live somewhere near the ocean
- Visit Thailand
- Make the world a better place (In honesty I don’t care but I feel like I should put that)
There it is. My updated Things to Do Before I Kick It list. What’s on yours? Close your eyes and think about it now.